a preview of the most promising upcoming films

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Introducing retro trailers

Today my friend Blake suggested I devote a page here for retro trailers. I jumped. What a great idea! Old movie trailers offer a unique window into how films were marketed long ago, and it’s fun to imagine those audiences getting as psyched to see the hottest movie as we do.

So without further ado, here are some gems I think you’ll enjoy. I'll keep posting more under the label ‘retro’ as I find them, so you can subscribe to future posts. And please post a comment to offer suggestions for more (original theatrical trailers only).


Psycho, now with 100% more toilet.



Lolita: If this doesn’t scream retro, nothing does.



Gone with the Wind, complete with the treacly music



Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb



The Birds



The Party, yes, now 100% more birdie num-nums.



Grand Hotel



To Kill a Mockingbird



Village of the Damned



Rosemary’s Baby



The Exorcist: “Nobody expected it...”



Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?



Citizen Kane, simply fabulous



Zelig




Take the Money and Run



Blue Velvet, “From the mind of David Lynch...”



Pulp Fiction: This one is funny because, following on its winning Cannes’ Palme d’Or, it starts out to make you believe it is an art house film.



All About Eve



2001: A Space Odyssey: High quality. Not absolutely sure it is the original theatrical trailer, but it sure looks like it.



Zardoz, suggested from my friend Jon.



0 comments:

Post a Comment